1.22.2006

Missed Connection

It was Friday evening at 2:37 in the morning when my phone bleated to announce that I had a text message.

I cracked an eye open, wondering who it could be so late/early.

Do you want to make [a large dollar amount] cash?

The text was from Mr. Freddie Prinze. Yes...how? I texted back, glancing nervously at the toddler laying next to me in bed. I was babysitting her for friends and crossed my fingers that whatever it was he wanted me to do, it would be tomorrow. My phone bleated again.

Me and a friend.

Yes, but can we do this tomorrow? I can't tonight.

Shit!, I thought. There's no way I can leave her here while I go out whoring. And, like I predicted, Mr. Freddie Prinze wasn't interested in a threesome tomorrow. I texted him back to tell him no, put my phone down and tried to go back to sleep, but all I could think about was a scrolling marquee with that dollar amount flashing in big shiny letters. I needed the money, but I couldn't figure out what to do.

Finally, after about 40 minutes of obsessing, it hit me. For that amount of money, I reasoned, her parents wouldn't be too upset if I dropped their kid off at the hotel room where they were staying. After all, the parents know what I do and are very supportive of me. I figured I'd offer to buy them breakfast or something.

I texted him back. I might be able to work something out. How late are you all going to be up?

This time, he called me back. I explained the situation and he said he'd try to work something out. I'll call you back in 5 minutes.

After 15, I still hadn't heard from him. Are we on?, I texted.

Not 2 night 2 late.

By that time it was almost 3:30 in the morning and I couldn't help but agree.

I'm still kicking myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home